January 27, 2016

Forgotten Seeds

You know how sometimes you see something so often that you really don't notice it anymore? Well, that's what happened to me the other day. I was putting things away in the pantry after a shopping trip and I discovered a jar of seed packets I had forgotten I had.


They were sitting in plain sight, but I've been overlooking them for a long time. And, then I remembered another stash of seeds I have.


They sit on a shelf above the kitchen sink, but I rarely give them a second thought. I decided to pull out all of the packets to see exactly what I have. With spring just around the corner, we might actually be able to use some of these.


There are quite a few vegetable seeds: purple hull peas, okra (enough to plant a whole field), sweet 100 tomatoes, green beans, butter beans, fordhook limas, squash, and dipper gourds.

The flower seeds include: Texas bluebonnets (I wish I'd remembered I had these in the fall), wildflower mix, butterfly mix, and sunflowers. The zinnia packets are empty!?

And there are others (not pictured) that were collected from our garden: purple coneflower and fragrant blue mist flower (it's unlikely I'll need these).

Fragrant Blue Mistflower took over our garden in 2015.
Most of these seeds are several years old, so I can't be certain they are still viable. I guess there's only one way to find out...

2 comments:

  1. Just the same! Maria and I are going to sow seeds today, before it rains... who know what'll pop up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wooden cheese box looks childhood...and home! Love you, Mom.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and taking time to comment. I am encouraged by your kind words!