June 27, 2016

The June Garden

Welcome to our garden! Here's what's blooming right now...


The Crape (or Crepe, if you prefer) Myrtle tree is just starting to bloom. We don't prune ours back like many people do. We prefer to let it grow naturally, only trimming back the deadwood when needed.


The Knock Out roses are nearing the end of their second flush, though there are still a few fresh flowers and some buds, too.


The flowers of the Esperanza look like yellow bells, which is what many people call this plant.


A new addition to the garden is 'Sweet Tea Southern Charm' Flowering Maple, an impulse buy at a market day sale. I tried to walk away from the loveliness of this apricot-orange flower, but I just couldn't do it. 


I finally got around to planting more Tropical Milkweed. I placed a few large stones around the bases to keep the chickens from uprooting them and it has worked...so far.


More coneflowers were added, too. There can never be enough coneflowers.


The Turk's Cap is now as tall as I am (5 feet, 4 inches). It takes me 16 normal-sized steps to walk completely around it. That's big, but it will get bigger! 


It's loaded with blossoms, each one holding a puddle of sweet nectar, which is good news for pollinators. It's a favorite of the hummingbirds that migrate through our yard and for that reason, a favorite of mine, too.

9 comments:

  1. What gorgeous blooms! It's fun to see the plants that don't grow this far north. Sweet Tea Summer Charm would be difficult to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice June (and beyond...) bloomers. I can certainly see why you're smitten with the flowering maple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure the flowering maple has found its forever spot in the garden. I may actually prefer to have it in a pot on the porch where I can enjoy it up close.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness...I'm not sure which one to ooh and aah over first! I have never seen tropical milkweed...what beauty! Crepe Myrtle are everywhere here right now and they make the landscape so colorful. Amazing photos of all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debby! These colorful blossoms are attracting butterflies right now. I can't wait for the hummingbirds to come back through on their southerly migration.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness you have some gorgeous flowers! Coneflowers are my favorite. We only get to Texas in January so flowers are not blooming too much then :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy! I wouldn't necessarily recommend that you visit this time of year for flower viewing, unless you love heat and humidity. :) Most of these flowers are well suited to our hot Texas summers and will continue to bloom until the first frost/freeze.

      Delete

Thank you for reading and taking time to comment. I am encouraged by your kind words!